How does your home make you feel?! Does it feel like you? It’s time to bring out the soul of your home!
According to Designer and Creative Entrepreneur Debra Baum aka “The Design Whisperer,” since your home will amplifying the essence of YOU…you can use many of the objects you already own and treasure. Are you ready to try using your own intuition to re-envision your space in a whole new way?
DEBRA’S INTUITIVE HOME GUIDANCE
- Design with Your Favorite Outfit in Mind: Debra says, “We all dress like we live.” The colors and style of your home generally reflect our wardrobe. Are you cool or conservative? Do you like bright or muted colors? Do you like things that are cozy, vintage or minimalist? Take a look in your drawers and at your closet. This will begin to tell you the story of your style.
- Tally Your Texture Type: Debra also likes to ask questions that correspond to what tactically feels best. Do you gravitate towards wood or glass? Do you prefer metal or stone? Do you like leather, linens or super soft suedes? Think about the texture types that you love the most. It will help you to define choices for what surrounds you.
- Use Inspiration + Make It Your Own: While Debra says while you can’t really get “it” wrong, following the latest trends may not necessarily be the best way to reflect your style. “Everyone looks on Pinterest and that’s why they do white subway tile, or the green cabinets and the brass ball blights. But what I think is fun about design is taking that inspiration and recreating it. If it’s too perfect, it’s not going to feel like home. It’s not about portraying this perfect life. It’s all about evolving into your own thing.”
- Infuse Scent into Your Space: One of Debra’s favorite things is adding a signature scent to your space that introduces your style and how you want people to feel in your home. “I’m really into this thing called Pura. It’s basically a diffuser that plugs into your wall and you set it on your app when it releases scent. I have a lavender scent in my entry which is a relaxing smell which is how I want people to feel when they are greeted at my door.”
- Let There Be Light: A key suggestion that Debra says is super critical in making a home feel comfortable, is in your lighting selections. “Lighting should be distinctive, complementary, and not bright. You want warm light. You don’t want icy, bright, blinding light.” It can be a subtle, but an important part of your decor.
- Turn Up the Sound: Adding to her focus on the senses in her style, Debra insists that sound is a key asset to design that also layers a home with personality. “I always have music playing from the minute I wake up to the minute I go to bed – and it changes all the time. It’s all based on my mood, whether it’s classical, jazz, hip hop, top hits, etc.”
We’re grateful for Debra’s spectacular reccos! They are smart, and not only do they add style, but they are also thoughtful, inexpensive ways of infusing soul into our homes.
MORE FROM DEBRA
- To find out more about working with Debra visit Debra Baum Design
- Follow her on Instagram @debrabaumdesign
- Listen to Robyn + Karen’s Seeking Center conversation with Debra: The Design Whisperer: Find the Soul of Your Home